Tuesday 12 June 2007

My Grandparents

Here's the CD tin I finished on the weekend.
It's of my grandparents.


This is the front of the tin.


This is the first page as the tin opens. My grandparents on their wedding day.

and finally....


These are all the pages. It opens out and the journalling is a short spiel on their life.
They had so many stories that no one knew. Grandad had alzheimers when I was younger and for some reason Grandma would never talk about the past and wouldn't talk about the family in Scotland.
It was only recently when I started researching the family history that we discovered that Grandmothers mother died in 1915 of breast cancer. Up until then every one had believed that she had died just after Grandma was born. So it's been well worth researching.
But I wonder how many stories they never told us. Grandad used to have a boat up north and went crocodile hunting, they lived in Darwin when it was bombed and Grandma and my aunties were all evacuated. And then they were in Darwin when Cyclone Tracey hit. But we've lost all of those stories now... Grandad died in 1988 and Grandma died in 1995. It makes me wish now that we had recorded the few stories they used to tell us as kids.
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it.... but if you're reading this and your grandparents are still alive get their stories. You will regret it one day if you don't.
Any thanks for looking and listening. I hope you have a wonderful day... me, I'm going to try to some scrapping... that's if I can figure out what to do with this mini book I have on my desk!

4 comments:

gailw said...

Hi Toni, Gail here.... love those layouts of your grandparents. WOW

I'm at home today due to a cold that is lingering.

I am going to link you to my blog... if it's not ok, leave me a msg on mine...

thinking ofyou while you're at work... Gail :D

Pippa said...

This is gorgeous Toni. I have a lump in my throat. Can I link you on my blog too?

Anonymous said...

Yes girls... I would love you to link me to your blogs... I've linked you both.. I hope that's ok.

Charmaine Otto Photography said...

Love the boys layout Toni. Just gorgeous. I am always on the lookout for boys pages! And the gorgeous tin of your Grandparents - Fantastic!! Loving your blog too!!