Monday, 14 January 2013

Mixed Media

I've started to play a little with mixed media, and of course I needed a journal cover so I made one from scratch!

I cut a piece of bookboard to the size I wanted, then added a title in chipboard letters.
Once I had that in place, I added random chipboard letters over the rest of the bookboard. Once I was happy with them I glued them into place, and then painted a white base over it.
Naughty me then tore some pages out of a dictionary, tore them and glued them into the 2 corners moulding them over the letters.

Now this is where the fun came in. I glued down flowers and embellishments, then sprayed it all with Ranger Colourwashes. It ended up that I wasn't happy with it, so pulled off all the embellishments and then ran the cover under the tap. I figured it was only chipboard so if I ruined it I could start again.
But wonder of wonders, it did what I wanted and lightened the intensity of the colours, without ruining the look.
Then I played again with some more spray, added the embellishments, painted, swiped and generally had some fun and this is the end result...

I love the blend of colours...

Then I covered the inside and the back cover with pieces of dictionary pages, then coloured them with the colourwash, stamped an image with stazon ink on the back.

and on the inside front cover I painted a stencil of a tree and added some text.
Overall I love the way it came out... very different to anything I've done before!

No comments: